Pages

Saturday 6 April 2024

Second Conditional




We use the second conditional to talk about hypothetical or imaginary situations in the present or future.

In the if-clause we use simple past or past continuous.

In the other clause (consequence/result), we can use wouldcould or might.


Form: IF + SUBJECT + PAST SIMPLE,  WOULD + INFINITIVE VERB

 "IF   I    WON    A FREE PLANE TICKET, I WOULD   GO TO JAPAN"

-Negative: IF + SUBJECT + DIDN'T + INFINITIVE, WOULD(N'T) + INFINITIVE VERB

   "IF I DIDN'T WORK SO MUCH, I WOULDN'T BE SO TIRED"

-Questions: IF + SUBJECT PAST SIMPLE, (QUESTION WORD) WOULD + SUBJECT + INFINITVE

   "IF YOU COULD TRAVEL ANYWHERE, WHERE WOULD YOU GO?"

For the verb be, we usually start our sentence with If + subject + were

For examples:

If I were rich, I’d buy a Ferrari

If he werewas rich, he’d buy a Porsche.

When we want to give advice, we always use If I were …

Examples:

If I were you, I wouldn’t go there.

If I were you, I’d travel to Brazil instead of Australia.


Things to note!

-Past simple ALWAYS follows 'IF'

-You can change the order of the clauses e.g.

"I would go to Japan if I won a free plane ticket"

-'COULD' can replace 'WOULD' to make the situation less probable







No comments:

Post a Comment